What You Need to Know About Hurricane Insurance

Your home may be vulnerable to hurricane damage if you reside near the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic coasts. Therefore, it’s crucial to understand what you must do to safeguard your property from a hurricane. Here is a hurricane insurance guide to understand what the contract covers.

Fortunately, damage to your property caused by a hurricane is typically covered by a typical homeowners policy. If you reside in a region with a high risk of hurricanes, you might need to pay an additional deductible.

What’s Covered?

Whether you’re a homeowner or a renter, it’s important to understand what’s covered under hurricane insurance. This will help you prepare for and manage a hurricane-related loss.

Homeowners and renters have two main types of coverage: dwelling coverage and additional living expenses. Dwelling coverage covers the structure of your house and attached buildings, as well as built-in appliances like a water heater or an air conditioner. It also includes liability protection to cover damage you might cause to others or your property.

Dwelling coverage is usually purchased at the same amount as the total rebuild cost of your home. This coverage may be available as a standalone endorsement or as part of a flood, windstorm, or other insurance policy.

A hurricane deductible is an extra out-of-pocket expense that your homeowner’s insurance policy requires you to pay before your hurricane coverage kicks in. This is typically a percentage deductible, with higher deductibles for homes in high-risk areas. These deductibles can range from 1% to 5% of your home’s value.


When a hurricane or tornado hits, the damage can be catastrophic. This is why it is important to have sufficient insurance coverage. Windstorm insurance can complement your existing homeowner’s policy and help cover losses that would otherwise be excluded.

Homeowners in areas prone to hurricanes or tornadoes may need a separate windstorm insurance policy. However, it is common for insurance companies to include a windstorm rider as part of the standard policy.

A typical windstorm policy covers damages to the dwelling, personal property, and other structures on your property, as well as any detached garages or sheds that aren’t attached to your home. The policy also has a limit of liability, the maximum amount your insurer will pay out on a claim.

Your home is one of the biggest investments you will ever make, and a windstorm that damages your property and belongings can devastate your finances. The right windstorm insurance policy will ensure you have enough money to repair your home and replace lost personal belongings.

Many states require all property owners to have windstorm insurance to secure a mortgage. This can be especially important for homeowners in coastal states and in areas where tornadoes or hurricanes are a common occurrence.

Typically, windstorm insurance deductibles are a percentage of your total insured value. This means that the higher your deductible, the lower the cost of your policy.

Some policies include a “named storm” deductible, which can only be triggered in the event of a designated hurricane or tropical storm. Some states require that a hurricane must be declared by the National Weather Service to trigger coverage.


Flooding is an important part of a hurricane’s impact on a region and can be a big deal for homeowners. However, standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover flooding. You must purchase a separate flood insurance policy if your home is in a high-risk flood zone.

The cost of flood insurance will vary depending on the location and the deductible you choose. It can be expensive, but it’s worth it to be prepared in case your property is affected by flooding.

If you have a mortgage, your lender may require that you buy flood insurance before they release the loan to you. The NFI P’s flood maps determine whether your area is considered at risk for flooding, and many lenders will only release a mortgage to a homeowner with flood insurance in place.

It’s essential to make sure your flood insurance policy covers the full cost of replacing all of your property if it is destroyed by floods, including any personal belongings inside your home. It’s a good idea to have updated photos of your property and belongings before a storm hits so that your insurance provider can assess your losses.

As hurricanes and other tropical storms grow in intensity and frequency, it’s important to have the right type of insurance in place to protect your home. This includes ensuring that your flood coverage is up to date and addressing other hurricane-related needs, such as windstorm insurance.

Additional Living Expenses

Most homeowner’s and renters’ insurance policies contain an optional benefit called additional living expenses (ALE). This coverage provides a way to help people stay away from their homes while they are being repaired after a covered loss. It’s a critical part of any insurance policy and an essential tool for those who are displaced due to a disaster.

For example, if your home is severely damaged and you have to live in a hotel for a month while you repair it, you can turn in receipts to get reimbursement for hotel bills, meals, and other expenses up to the ALE limit. Likewise, if you have to stay with friends or relatives while you’re away from your home, you can also submit receipts for those expenses.

When determining whether your expenses are reimbursable, it’s important to keep track of every expense and ensure that you have receipts for them. This helps ensure that you can prove to your insurer that you’re requesting the right amount of money.

It’s also a good idea to keep detailed records of all your transactions, such as receipts for hotel and rental fees, restaurant bills, fuel costs, and more. This will help you ensure that your expenses are reimbursable, and it will be easier for you to present these receipts when you’re ready to file a claim.

Leave a Reply